Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Koh Oknha Tei Island close to Phnom Penh

Koh Oknha Tei Island is also known as Silk Island. I don’t really know how it got the name Silk Island, I mean I understand it is because here are a lot of families making a living by weaving silk but I can see the name being slightly confusing for tourist that might think they will find a lot of silk vendors here.

If you come here for the silk someone from the boat will guide you to a family that will show you their weavers, house and some scarves (they will even show you scarves that are imported from China and not hand-woven at their house, so be careful).

Anyway, I did not come to the island to see the silk weaving. I just took a relaxing boat trip and a small hike on the island because it’s nice to get away from the busy streets of Phnom Penh center sometimes. 




No comments:

Post a Comment